30 Jun What Are Signs of Womb Damage After Abortion?
Abortion carries several physical and emotional risks, so it’s crucial to be aware of them before a procedure. Some of these include womb damage and infection.
If you’ve already had an abortion, you should know the warning signs of infection, as these may indicate that something more serious is taking place. Signs of physical complications following an abortion include:
- Heavy bleeding/hemorrhaging – soaking two or more pads an hour for two hours
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
- Severe pain, especially in the back or abdomen
- Fever lasting more than 24 hours
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately. And regardless of how you feel, you should always seek follow-up care from a medical provider after an abortion. This will ensure that you are healing correctly and help identify whether any problems are taking place.
I Haven’t Had the Abortion Yet. What Should I Do Beforehand?
If you haven’t had an abortion yet and are still deciding, there are several things you can do to protect your health. First, ensure you know all of your options, including adoption and parenting. You’ll want to research the pros and cons of each option and identify possible resources that could help you with each. Your local pregnancy center often has options information that is offered at no cost to you!
It is also imperative that you have an obstetric ultrasound performed to protect your health and identify crucial pregnancy information, including:
- Viability: An ultrasound can confirm whether your pregnancy is viable and has a heartbeat or whether you have miscarried. If you have miscarried, you would not need an abortion.
- Gestational age: Ultrasounds tell you how far along you are in your pregnancy, which informs you of which abortion procedure you may be eligible for.
- Location of pregnancy: Sometimes, women experience an ectopic pregnancy, which occurs when a pregnancy implants in a location other than the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies always require medical treatment and cannot survive.
Following these steps before making any pregnancy decision will help you stay informed about your health.
No-Cost, Confidential Help
To learn more about abortion and all of your pregnancy options and access our pregnancy services, contact Lighthouse Pregnancy Resource Center today. We care about you and your health!